Saturday, October 07, 2006

Day 176 - Thala Beach Lodge, North of Cairns - Wild Boar w/ Blueberry Coulis

.

I feel a belated-birthday dinner coming my way tonight …

After another day spent at one of my more favorite off-the-beaten-path discoveries here in Cairns (Emerald Falls, north of Cairns by 45 min or so in the tablelands), my good friend Sir Bradley treated us to an unbelievable dinner at one of the area’s top-end seaside resorts.

Emerald Falls – way, way cool! Natural waterfall, rolling down granite hill, … amazing!



On the drive out there, you pass by hundreds upon hundreds of ant hills formed built on top of the ground (this is apparently done to fight the heat ... clever little buggers, eh?).


Afterways, we headed off to Thala Beach Lodge, an ultra-swanky oceanside resort with private beaches, honeymoon bungalows and great dining facilities. While we were waiting for dinner hour to arrive, I got my photography itch scratched with some great shots of the 2nd night of the full moon. It's EASY to take great shots with a moon like that!

Posted by Picasa

Dinner was great - very inspiring menu, with lots of local goodies available for tasting. I've always wanted to taste wild boar (Why? Not sure ... just always have ...), and surprisingly it was on the menu. I won't provide a recipe for this posting, as the meal was very simply prepared / presented ... If you feel disappointed by that, just look at the picture of the rising moon above - hopefully that will be enough to bring smiles to your faces.

No comments: