Monday, October 02, 2006

Day 171 - Tides Restaurant - Cairns' Waterfront, QLD - White and Dark Chocolate Mousse Terrine w/ Caramelized Orange and Strawberry Coulis

.


My birthday is “officially” today! (although, I’m stretching it to a week-long celebration … I’ve decided I’m worth it this year) I’ve met some great friends here in Cairns, and two (yes – TWO!) have offered to take me out for birthday dinner tonight! Oh oh … I feel a long night coming on.

The first meal, early-evening, was graciously had with Cairns-friend Matty J. Because it was my birthday, I convinced Matty that we should START the meal with dessert … Come on! It’s my birthday!

This is as fancy as birthday cake gets! (is it, in fact, cake?) My mom always makes a white cake with orange icing on my birthday for me … I miss mom … and I miss her orange icing … This is the closest thing I could find in Cairns’ restaurants to orange cake! Since it's a complicated recipe, I'll simplify and offer a recipe for chocolate mousse ... much more attainable. :)

“Happy birthday to Keeee-vvvvvin!”

Posted by Picasa

Ingredients:

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 large fresh egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream, heated
Sweetened whipped cream for garnish

Method:

1) Place chocolate chips, egg and vanilla into the container of electric blender and blend for 30 seconds.

2) Remove center of blender lid and while machine is running, slowly pour heated cream into the chocolate mixture. Blend until well mixed and chocolate chips are melted.

3) Pour into parfait or wine glasses. Refrigerate until set. Serve garnished with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments: