Sunday, August 13, 2006

Day 120 - Fitzroy Island, Great Barrier Reef - Aussie Burger w/ Canuck Potato Salad

.

My first trip out into the Great Barrier Reef. The weather forecast was predicting rain and high winds / waves all day, meaning it wasn't going to be a good day to go snorkelling or diving for the first time. On a recommendation from a travel consultant colleague, I headed off to Fitzroy Island (located just outside Cairns, just at the edge of the Reef) for a day of rainforest hiking and relaxing in the sun (assuming there would be any).

After a rough 45-minute boat ride out to Fitzroy, I immediately headed up a long, winding walking path to Fitzroy's peak. Upon arrival, I found a boulder at the very top of the mountain, sat down and enjoyed the amazing views out into the Pacific. Shortly before our arrival on the island, several people had mentioned they saw grey whales just off Fitzroy's shores ... so naturally I was curious to know see if I could spot any whales off in the distance. (I didn't, btw)



After a quick lunch (more on that in a second), I headed off to one of Fitzroy's other main attractions: Nudey Beach (no, that's not a typo - that's its actual name). "Clothing optional" in every sense of the word, and having the best sand on the island, I spent the rest of the afternoon alternating between sunbath-mode, and retreating Survivor-like into the rainforest to take shelter from the afternoon downpours.

"When in Rome" ...


Note on the above: this was my only 10-seconds of nakedness the entire day. Swear. I was keen on the idea, until I realized there were several dozen Japanese tourists all around who, throughout the afternoon, were constantly taking pictures ... *snap* *snap* *snap*

Besides ... "the water was cold".

Our return boat trip had us pointed directly into the setting sun. The below is only one of many fantastic shots I was able to take.

Posted by Picasa

Before booking my trip to Fitzroy, naturally I made sure there would be some "bloggable" food on the island. (Come on, I'm just looking out for you guys ... lol) The brochure promised me a "Sumptuous Aussie BBQ" lunch, which I thought meant Aussie burgers, or something similar. Wrong. Of the above food pic:

- The dish on the left is what I HAD for lunch (fish with potato salad). Mom's potato salad hits closer to home, so I'll provide hers below.

- The dish on the right is what I WANTED for lunch, which I ate for dinner later that night at one of my fave spots in Cairns' downtown (The Inbox Cafe, a combination cafe, restaurant, internet kiosk and live performance venue). A-m-a-z-i-n-g burgers, easily repeatable at home.

*** Recipes soon to follow.

1 comment:

Andrew McAllister said...

The water was cold? Let me guess ... Oh I get it, Shrinkage! Caught on lots of Japanese cameras!

Glad to see you're still having a great time and exploring!

Love ya, guy! Thinking of you back home. (And the ocean view is amazing.)