Saturday, July 01, 2006

Day 75 - Canada Day - Victoria's Cross Bar, Sydney - Canadian Poutine

.
Word had it that THE place to be for Canadians in Sydney on Canada Day was Victoria Cross Bar in north-side Sydney. Ten years ago, the bar's Swiss owner (what?) apparently decided that he would advertise a special Canada Day celebration. So many Canadians flooded his bar that night he decided to make it an annual event.

You know you're arriving at a Canadian party when there's a moose ice sculpture greeting you at the entrance door. *grin*


Top 5 moments from Canada Day 2006:

1) I met a girl named Enid. This, of course, is only remotely exciting for other Barnaked Ladies fans ... I had NO idea there were any Enids in existence?!

2) Hearing Spirit of the West's "Home For A Rest" at least 5 times in one night. Square dancing, anybody?

3) Running into several groups of Queen's University graduates at the bar, all of whom ended up in Sydney via separate career paths / life circumstances. There were a bunch of 2007 grads there too (I was class of 2000 - can I be getting this old?)

4) The bar rented a snow machine! Nnnnnice. So, upon exiting the bar, patrons were treated to a cool blast of the white stuff. Far from blizzard conditions, but it did leave you a little homesick.

5) The Full Mounties show - You can see where this is going. See below ...

Here's the story: Lauren, before arriving at the bar, told me that Victoria's Cross puts on an annual show at their Canada Day celebration. They get ex-Victoria Cross bartenders, a few locals, throw in some Canucks for good measure, and put on their best version of the final scene from the movie the Full Monty. With Mounties dressed in red uniforms and disrobing aqwardly to Tom Jones blaring in the background, the estrogen-rich crowd was treated to a good laugh. I just happened to be near the front of the crowd ... y'know ... my girlfriends dragged me along. Really.


Once the show was over, I was surprisingly encouraged by some of my girlfriends to take part in next year's show if I'm still in Australia.

I have no idea where they would get such an idea on their heads that I would be open to that sort of theatrical exhibitionism ...


... oh wait, the jacket fits. Hmmmm ....

Posted by Picasa

Naturally the bar had a Canadian-influenced food menu organized for the event. Said to say, but we got to the bar too late - they ran out of poutine. :(

I can assure you as soon as I get my hands on some cheese curds that I'll be making some homemade poutine for myself and my international housemates.

For those of you who don't know, here's how to make poutine:

Ingredients

Cheese curds

Gravy

French fries

Method:

Fry some french fries, top generously with cheese curds, then top even more generously with hot gravy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»