Friday, July 28, 2006

Day 102 - The Esplanade, Cairns - Boston Cream Doughnuts

.

I’ve always said that I’m not much of a runner. I’m a fit guy, enjoy most sports / working out / etc … but have never really gotten into running in the mornings. That’s changed since my arrival in Cairns.

Maybe it’s because of the morning ocean scenery (pelicans, mountain ranges, sun rising over the ocean, …). Maybe it’s because this is all a 10-minute bike ride away from my temporary home here in Cairns. Or, perhaps because my gym / showers are 200-feet away from my daytime office job. (Can you spell “convenient”?) Not sure, but I’ve definitely enjoyed the extra morning exercise before getting to work in the mornings.

Which got me thinking about “breakfast on the run”? (<- there’s the tie-in guys) I miss Tim Horton’s, Canada’s most successful chain of coffee and doughnut shops (for those of you who aren’t aware). I miss “double-doubles”, “Rrrrolling up the rrrrim to win!”, and Boston Cream doughnuts (those tasty four’ish-bite doughnuts filled with yellow custard pudding.)

I only recently found the Australian-equivalent to the Boston Cream doughnuts, just after my arrival here in Cairns at a local bakery shop where they sell “custard doughnuts”. They’re missing the chocolate-top coating, their doughnut have holes in middle, and they definitely don’t cost $0.85 each (* sigh *) … but still, they are pretty tasty.


Note: I recognize my breakfast-on-the-go food selection negates the purpose of my morning running … but hey, I’m on vacation!!


Posted by Picasa

Recipe for Boston Cream pie / doughnut custard filling:

1/3 c. sugar2 tbsp. cornstarch1/8 tsp. salt1 1/2 c. milk2 egg yolks, slightly beaten2 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in 2 quart saucepan. Stir in milk gradually.

Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.

Stir 1/2 of hot mixture into egg yolks in saucepan, boil and stir 1 minute.

Remove from heat, stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature

No comments: