Sunday, June 18, 2006

Day 62 - Swissotel Hotel, Sydney - Sydney Foodbloggers' High Tea - Lemon Meringue Pie

.

Here's where my food obsession begins to get a little creepy ... although, apparently "I am not alone".

Once I signed up for my blog account, and gave it a name, welcome messages from other Sydney-area food bloggers started pouring in. It didn't take too long before one of them proposed a meeting place for our little on-line community to get together and talk food. Before meeting in-person, naturally I had several pre-conceived notions of what "my people" would be like; perhaps a combination of (pocket-protector computer geeks + anal culinarians with zero social life)? I wasn't sure to be honest.

Glad to say I was WAY off. The group was very diverse - an even balance of women and men, both young and older, several of them had moved to Sydney from other countries, most authored their blogs based on their personal food passion (vegetarian, vegan, dessert-lovers, ...) and all, in one way or another, admitted it was perhaps a little odd to spend as much time as we do blogging about food ... "but who cares".

The meeting place was the Swissotel, a swank hotel in Sydney's CBD ("Central Business District"). Once initial intros were out of the way, we all turned our attention to the high tea buffet which was waiting for our arrival.


Aged cheeses, fresh fruit, dainty sandwiches, frilly puddings, little cakes, coffees and teas ... all the usual suspects were there. And who doesn't love a chocolate fondue? Nooobody.


Posted by Picasa

Three plates later and I was done-like-dinner, ready to get on with the rest of my day (I had a cake baking contest / auction to get to ... more on that in the next blog post).

My fave treat was probably the mini lemon meringue tart (I had many). So good. No mystery behind making the lemon filling for these pies, as all you have to do is follow the directions on any brand-name cake filling. The magic, however, is in the the pastry. Here's my Grammy's (on my Dad's side) recipe:

*** Soon to come - awaiting recipe to be emailed from Mom ...

No comments: