Sunday, May 28, 2006

Day 41 - Manly Beach, Sydney - Bread Pudding Birthday "Cake"

.

My first dinner guest, in my first apartment in Sydney - good times!

A few days earlier, my american buddy Lance (pictured above, who I met at my gym in Sydney) and I took a ferry ride from Circular Quay in Sydney over to Manly Beach. The ferries to Manly are pretty huge. On this particular day, it was clear and really windy outside so the harbour was jammed full of sailing boats. The below picture represents only a small portion of the sailing chaos that was taking place in the harbour that day.

(Question: How do they not all crash into each other? I'm not understanding this at all ....).



Once at Manly (which I'd visited before), Lance told me there was something interesting to show me. "The Wormhole", just north of Manly Beach, is a man-made tunnel running 50 metres or so through the cliff's sandstone, extending between the Manly-side of the cliff and the opposite ocean-side. Kinda cool.


The view, looking back at Manly from inside the Wormhole. Not sure what "the Hole's" history is, but I'm sure it had something to do with human convenience. Let's be honest, our kind's laziness has a way of leading to innovation. *grin*


Posted by Picasa

We spent the rest of the day driving around the area with one of Lance's friends, walking through one of the national parks in the area, then grabbing a bite to eat at a nearby deli.

As thanks for the day's experiences, and for his recently-celebrated birthday, I cooked dinner for Lance chez moi. After a meal of mussels cooked in a chilli-coconut broth (nnnice), naturally birthday cake made an appearance. Not knowing if he was a chocolate guy or not, I decided to get a little creative and made some bread pudding the day earlier. It's dead easy, and is a little bit of a departure from "cake". Recipe, again, c/o Mom.

** Recipe soon to come ... waiting for Mom to email it to me.

No comments: